Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A case of the herbs...

An actual argument that I participated in with a few english folk and one new zealand kiwi. How to pronounce 'herb' and whether you can call someone an 'herb' - assuming it is like making fun of them (you tard! quit acting like an herb!). wtf?! Obviously, I pronounced it with a silent 'h' whereas the rest said it like a freaking name (i.e. Uncle Herb - short for Herbert?). The last straw was when miss kiwi, Hana, called me an herb and said I'd better like it. "You're such a rosemary" "That is such Basil talk" "Stop acting like Oregano" I just don't get it... To me it sounds like you are telling someone they just got a sick STD. Hence, a case of the herbs. Or maybe I'll start using it to describe the heat rash I've acquired on my shoulders - which I have been calling my shoulder AIDS. They're awkwardly fun to pick at. ewwww

Sloppy seconds in Bangkok. I was there for a few short, but wonderful, days before my training in Phuket. The second time around was a bit more lively - mainly because I had a crew that wasn't, unlike Sean Lopez, sicker than a dog. I made it there Friday afternoon and met up with Sean and a few of the kids from my ATI (American TESOL Institute) course at a hostel near Khao San road. It was sooooo good to see familiar faces, especially one that I've known through college. Everyone loved Sean, of course, because they compared him to my "craziness" whatever that means... :) We went out that night and caught up (I was the only one that had already taught for a full week) and stayed at a hostel in Bangkok. It had been quite some time (lets say.... a week) since I've had more than one or two beers in a sitting so needless to say I was well on my way to liquor heaven. It ended up being a much earlier night for me than the rest, but I was pretty happy about that because I got a full day on Saturday of shopping around Bangkok and also headed that afternoon to Mike and Esterina's (two people in my training class) pad in Bangkok where they have a swimming pool on the 4th floor - I bought a pair of togs (I've resorted to calling them this after spending so much time with Austrailians, New Zealanders, and English... and by togs I mean bathing suit or bikini) on Khao San because it was so unbelievable hot and I neeeeeeeded a dip in a cool pool. Great apartment. Great people.

Best part was probably going with Hana, the solo kiwi in our group, to meet up with her father and family friends that moved to Bangkok a few years ago. I love meeting peoples parents... I think it shows so much about someone's character and I'm definitely a person that asks tons of questions and is so intrigued by just about anything that is different from my norm (a norm that is vastly expanding and morphing). Her father and family friends were so welcoming. We went to the 26th floor of a baller hotel downtown Bangkok (think Wayne's World - Benjamin's apartment... "you could really hawk a loogie from up here" - yeah, I said that) for a few mojitos and then to a Mediterranean joint that had the BEST falafel that I've ever had. YUMMMM. I'm sure many of you (if there are any of you?) are wondering about all the hype that Bangkok is producing for worldly news. In my opinion, it is a tad blown out of proportion and the story being told on CNN or BBC isn't even close to the whole story. Things in Bangkok are looking pretty shaky, but I'm not super worried about it. The media is being quite sensationalist about the protests, and that is making things worse. If you're not up on the news, check this out: http://bangkokpost.com/news/thaksin-judgement-day/ The shit is about to hit the fan in Bangkok, but something needs to be done soon. Bangkok businesses are losing 6 million US dollars a day from the protests, and the actual losses from the loss in tourism and foreign investment are innumerable. Make no mistake about it though, this is between rival factions in Thailand and has nothing to do with farang (their term for foreigner). Only a very tiny area is plagued with violence, and they are easy to avoid. Demonstrations here are limited to a small area -- usually right around the government buildings. Simply avoid going to those areas, and you will never know anything is out of the ordinary. In 99% of Bangkok, life goes on as usual.

And now I diverge:
As humans, we all have a storytelling problem. We're far too quick to come up with explanations for things we don't really have an explanation for or don't understand. Why did I even come here? I tried to come up with a reason months before my move - probably just to make myself feel more centered and certain of my decision. Think about what woman always say they want in a man, and then look at the type of people they are actually dating or attracted to. Doesn't usually match up. Sigmund Freud once said: "When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons. In vital matters, however, such as the choice of a mate or a profession, the decision should come from the unconscious, from somewhere within ourselves. In the important decisions of personal life, we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature." For me, decisions aren't something that always come easily. Sometimes the most random things stress me out, like what color I should paint my toenails, or if I should even paint them or not. Other times decisions that should probably stress me out don't. Why can't I just make a damn decision and understand that there are so many times that decisions are made and there are a myriad of possible responses, so decinding the outcome of each possible response is not only a waste of time and near impossible, but also not my style at all. Things make me nervous. Change being one of them. Relying on my unconscious that happens in a split second without my knowledge isn't exactly reassuring to me. It is like standing at the edge of a mountain ledge with a one foot railing. I will always be tempting myself in my head to jump; I'm not sure I trust myself enough to step out on such a ledge. I think Thailand might be this ledge for me. The truth is that for the most important decisions, there can be no certainty.

And I'm back:
After my first week and a half I was more than surprised (and not to mention thrilled) that my school was so relaxed and they teachers for the most part were very cool and helpful with keeping the kids in line, which was really only needed for my Kindergarteners. Having the freedom to leave at lunch (or whenever, really), no requirement to attend morning assembly (most of the other foreign teachers at other schools in Thailand need to be at school around 7:30 and canNOT leave until around 4), no one monitoring what I am teaching or how I am doing it, and being done by 3 everyday and able to rush home makes my life here so fabulous. I don't think I would be able to handle HAVING to be at school from 7:30 - 4:00 everyday. But then again, I never have been a fan of rules. Anyway, after said week and a half, I ran into the School Director after lunch and she said she wanted to talk with me after school (shit). I was totally thinking that this was the time when I got spoken to about my dress (I mentioned before that it is much more relaxed as well and I can wear pants, flip flops, and keep my piercings and dreads in) and about my class conduct. I was less than excited to embark on this "discussion" but low and behold... she just wanted to chat! She seriously asked if I was worried about Bangkok, if my apartment was okay, if I had everything I needed to teach, and that she wanted to take me out to lunch the next day and show me around. Hella sweet lady - positive crunch (I'll site the source - Sean Lope). So I met her for lunch the next day and her three nieces were in the decked out SUV that picked us up. We drove around, grabbed some fried bananas and syrup and went to a noodle restaurant. Jan, the daughter to my English Head Teacher, Supamas, was with and the other two girls were great. Didn't want to talk english to me at all, but they warmed up. Actually, the younger of the two, Sam, came into my last class of the day (being the Principle, Supaluck, daughters they know most of the teachers and can do whatever they want) and made me laugh so hard because she went to the back of the room while I was teaching and started chopping her hair off! Apparently she wanted bangs and her mother didn't want her to so she did it herself! I mean SHORT SHORT bangs. She had hair stuck all over her face when she ran up to me... "Ok?? Too SHORT?! Can you help me?!" I had to stop class I was so hysterical but luckily they turned out ok. So at lunch we were talking about the markets and randomly decided to all meet at 5:30 after school and walk along the river and to the fresh open night markets because I hadn't been to them yet and wanted to know where the river was. Sam, Jan, the School Director (Ni) and myself went on quite the adventure. Needless to say Sam warmed up to me and her english is great. I honestly have been more than adopted by the family that owns/runs the school. It is the three sisters (however, this is far from a Cinderella story, but I'm still ruffling with those feathers at the moment and don't at all want to get into political drama with my school) that basically run it and they all have taken me under their wing. Michael and Supamas (and Jan) took me around my first week which I thought was unnecessary but much appreciated, but now this... I must have done something good to deserve this? I mean just a few days ago I broke my first mirror. So my fridge is now stocked full of fruit and salads and I have eaten many a meal FO FREE. Yes, Mom, I offered to pay but was declined. Oh, and Sam's sister requests my presence for lunch tomorrow (I feel like royalty, or maybe being asked to the princess' ball). They love me, they realllly love me.

In addition, I've made several new friends in Suphan Buri, somewhat thanks to my damn A/C breaking in my room. Met a large handful (I guess that would be two handfuls?) of Americans (and one Tazmanian gentleman) that are all my age teaching in the area and live a few floors above me. Never knew I had other whites in my building - yay. We went to dinner, errr I just jumped in front of them as they were leaving the building and invited myself. They're taking me to their favorite "club" on Friday as a welcoming. Song Sam whiskey and coke here I come! The larger part of tihs story should include that my A/C broke. In 100 degree weather. Where I sweat 'til I can't sweat no morrrrre. The ladies at the front desk gave me a fan. Thanks. For the plastic excuse for a wind producer just to make my hair/clothes/bedding stick to my overly sweaty extremities. I can't complain though, well I can, but I shouldn't.


Thais are blunt. Jan, the daughter of the head english teacher (Supamas) is constantly being told by her family and aunts and teachers at my school that she is fat. Straight out - Jan, you are fat. No more eating; more exercising. Then they point at her forhead and make fun of her in thai... to which I'm assuming is talking about her acne. She is 16 - who DIDN'T have acne then!? I wonder what they can say about me for buddha's sake! I can't even find clothes big enough to fit my big ass here, let alone shoes! And sweating this much canNOT be attractive to thai people at all...

On a sidenote: Kindergarteners are soooo intriguing to watch. Ultimate people watching every day for me. For instance, when I let them color their "quizes" when they are done. Some of them attack the paper with one large crayon in about 10 seconds and run up to me... "Teacher Laura.. done!" As if being the first done allows them a prize of some sort. Others take their time, picking up each color and making the smallest mark ever, basically unnoticeable, and tilting their heads while looking at what they have to assume is a masterpiece of fine art and won't even let me look at it until they are finished. Some kids just plain like to draw with pencil... interesting. I wish I could ask them if they are colorblind? The teachers have really warmed up to me - one wants to talk to me everyday in English (this being the one I was actually scared of in the beginning because she was so damn strict with her students and didn't seem to understand a word I was saying) so that is a good feeling.



Hana and I (at Benjamin's apartment)



Tractors... in Thailand!



See, Mom. I'm still messy when I'm not at home!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're doing well and meeting lots of cool people. I can't imagine not having AC in 100 degree heat. Is it fixed now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thank goodness - A/C is back in action. :)

    ReplyDelete